Logo design on the cheap
Recently had to work on a website which needed a logo.
You clearly have 2 options:
- You ask a logo designer. This is a real job, people. If the success of your business is going to be largely impacted by your branding, then don’t be a fool and ask someone whose job is exactly this to do it for you. And pay her/him what she/he’s asking
- Your logo ain’t gonna make such a difference and you just want to get a logo on the cheap and are willing to do this yourself.
Let’s look at a few tips/tools you can use to do this:
- Look up your competition and check what they’re doing
- Use dribbble to check out inspirations
- Use a napkin, some paper, or an app like Procreate to doodle your shit
- Use logo makers such as Looka to visualise what something would look like on other material (business cards, tshirts, signs…etc). See below for an example
- Search dafont for fonts you can use for free, and download
- Build your vector graphics using open source applications such as Inkscape. You can learn how to use it by checking out Logos by Nick
This list is likely to grow with time but that’ll do for now.