Google Authenticator is producing the wrong codes

Google Authenticator is producing the wrong codes

What do you do when your Google Authenticator produces the wrong codes, and there’s nothing much you can do about it?

I’m a huge fan of the two-factor authentification, the now famous user identification system by means of the combination of two different components. It usually involves a password and some kind of time-based token available via an app on a mobile phone.

2-step verification is officially the best thing since sliced bread

So by now, we all know we’re talking about Google Authenticator. Great app, I use it all the time.

Problem I just encountered: my mobile is in maintenance, and I bought myself a cheap Wiko for the few days/weeks to come, and I can not make the app work. No idea why, the time zone is set as it should, I ran a sync from the app, and it’s telling me that all is fine.

So what do you do in such a bizarre situation. I found my answer on a forum, but as there’s not so much talk on the subject out there, this blog post may help some people stuck like me.

Use this app: FreeOTP

It seems a bit strange to be using a google feature with an app made by Red Hat. But the app is legit and approved, and more importantly it works like a charm, …even on a Wiko.

And get yourself a decent phone though lol.

flo preynat

Follow me on Twitter

Or simply don't...

Latest Photos